Kendal travelled to third placed Fylde for their last league game of the season this weekend. With demotion still a mathematical possibility The Greens needed to earn vital points.

The Fylde changing facilities were unavailable due to construction, this combined with the unseasonally cold weather made for frosty pre-match preparations for the visitors. The home side came at Kendal from the first whistle, but Chris Woodman and Gordon Blunt were ready for them and any and all advances were rebuffed by the away team’s defence. After weathering the initial storm, Kendal began to pass their way into game. Before long the visitors were on the front foot and enjoying the majority of possession. Ayrton Boyd and Mark Addison were everywhere in the midfield. Liam Derome was displaying some of his best moves as he repeatedly danced into the Fylde D and Alex Watkins was looking particularly strong. Several chances were created for The Greens and when John Stanworth’s cross was deftly deflected past a desperate defender by captain Nick Davis, Ewan Galloway was on hand to volley the ball home to take the lead. Unfortunately for Kendal, a second goal repeatedly eluded them, Steve Barclay came the closest, but was unlucky not get the goal his performance deserved. Just before the half time whistle Fylde earned and converted a penalty corner.

Halt time- Fylde 1 – 1 Kendal.

The second half started with the weather taking a turn for the worse. The snow and wind made playing conditions difficult to say the least. Kendal refused to cool down their tempo though and raised the heat for the Fylde back line. After dominating the play the away side earned a penalty corner. Aaron Screen cleverly changed the direction of play and found Jack Kerr at the back post after his initial injection. Kerr was calmness personified as he lifted the ball over the diving keeper to give Kendal the lead once more. It was then the home side’s turn to enjoy a period of possession. Andrew Melville and Harry Denney ran themselves into the ground attempting to thwart the Fylde build up play and man of the match Woodman repeatedly closed the door to any attempting to attack down the Kendal left. Rob Cartwright was also having a splendid game and heroically kept The Greens lead intact despite the pressure on his goal. Disappointingly for Kendal, the home side eventually found the net after being awarded a succession of penalty corners. The away side pushed on in an attempt to earn all three points, but try as they might they could not score again.

Kendal were happy with their performance and the point they earned. With favourable results elsewhere in the league The Greens were safe and look forward to another season in Div 3 North after the summer break. Hopefully, if next seasons results more accurately reflect their performances, they should be battling at the other end of the table by March 2019.

Final score Fylde Men’s 1s 2 – 2 Kendal Men’s 1s.

Categories: Match Reports