Kendal welcomed league leaders Golborne to the Kirkbie Kendal School pitch for what was to be a tight match right up until the final seconds.

Kendal had a dream start and moved the ball quickly around the pitch. Aaron Screen and Nick Davis were bossing the midfield and it only took a few minutes before the home side crafted their first chance of the game. A swift series of passes found Andrew Melville on the left flank who beat his man, drove down the wing and crossed hard into the D. Tom Taggart was in the perfect position to first control the furiously paced ball and then to slam it home to give The Greens the lead. The game then became a much more even affair with each team taking it in turns to attack and defend with equal vigour. Both teams had chances, but it was the visitors who struck next with a strong finish which left Kendal keeper Rob Cartwright no chance to make the save.

Half time- Kendal 1 – 1 Golborne.

The second half continued to be keenly contested. Battles were fought across the whole pitch as the two teams were proving to be well matched. Defenders Chris Woodman, Simon Millington and Matt Marston were all performing above and beyond against a pacey and skilful front line. Golborne were then awarded a penalty corner, a chance which they converted well and Kendal suddenly found themselves temporarily down to ten men and losing by two goals to one with less than ten minutes left to play. The hosts stayed calm, reset their formation and began to gain the upper hand. Patient building of quality chances was the key. The Kendal front men Liam Derome, Noah Ross and Liam Platt ran themselves into the ground to move the Golborne defenders around and create spaces which could be exploited. John Stanworth then had the chance to unleash down the right wing and found Tom Taggart and the top of the visitors D. Man of the match Taggart calmly turned his marker and unleashed a thunderbolt of a strike into the top corner of the goal to bring the teams level with less than two minutes left on the clock. A draw would probably have been a fair result for such a tightly contested match, but Kendal captain Aaron Screen was hungry for all three points. Picking the ball up in the Golborne half Screen drove toward the visitors goal, beating several defenders on his way. With less than thirty seconds left to play the Kendal skipper then pulled left and drew the keeper out of his goal, slipping a reverse-stick pass under his outstretched leg to the back post for an easy tap in.

Final score- Kendal Men’s 1s 3 – 2 Golborne Men’s 1s.

Kendal’s resolve to win under such pressure sees them go into second in the league, just one point behind the leaders. Kendal Men’s 1s are away at Kirkby Lonsdale Men’s 1s this coming weekend.

Categories: Match Reports