For their second match of the weekend Kendal welcomed Liverpool John Moores University to their fortress at the Queen Katherine School. This time with a more complete squad, Kendal were keen to build from, and improve upon their performance from the day before.

From the off Kendal looked like the team most up for the game. John Stanworth and Mark Addison were everywhere in the middle of the pitch and were quick to release the ball to the willing runners in the Kendal front line. One such swift move ended when Liam Platt found himself one-on-one with the Liverpool keeper. Some say that if not for the net, Platt’s top-corner flick would still be travelling into orbit. Giving their opposition no time to settle, The Greens struck again. Stanworth dispossessed his opposite number and slipped the ball to Noah Ross on the far right of the Liverpool D. Ross then calmly looked up and slapped the ball across the face of goal, perfectly timed to meet the stick of Phil Conlin as he dived to greet it at the back post.

Half time Kendal 2 – 0 Liverpool.

Feeling confident and hungry for more goals Kendal took to the pitch for the second half with a spring in their step. They didn’t have to wait long for the scoreline to increase. Gordon Blunt’s display was nothing nothing short of imperious as he denied a Liverpool attack with one breath, then sprang a Kendal attack with another. Blunt’s through ball found Ross on his own staring down the throat of the Liverpool keeper. Without a moments hesitation the young Kendal striker wrong footed the goal tender and slotted his reverse-stick finish home. The Greens then earned themselves a penalty corner. An unusually sloppy routine left the visitors thinking they could easily clear their lines, however, they had reckoned without Nick Davis’ ability to deceive. The Kendal captain ghosted in-between several defenders to be first to the ball and finished past an unsuspecting keeper to give Kendal their fourth. Their fifth came from another penalty corner. This time Simon Millington took it upon himself to dribble past any attempting to stop him. After beating several defenders Millington then lifted the ball to Conlin who dutifully reverse-stick volleyed the ball against the backboard for his second of the match.

The Greens were enjoying themselves by now and passing the ball around the pitch with wanton abandon. Noah Ross capped off his man of the match performance with a series of 3D skills that left devastated defenders in his wake. Andrew Melville scored Kendal’s final goal when he took advantage of a defenders lapse of concentration. Melville stole the ball and remorselessly slammed it into the Liverpool net. Despite not touching the ball in the second half, keeper Rob Cartwright’s vocal contributions were vital in keeping the Kendal defence organised and his clean sheet intact.

Full time Kendal Men’s 1s 6 – 0 Liverpool John Moores University Men’s 1s.

Categories: Match Reports