Kendal travelled away to Liverpool University hoping for a third win on the bounce. The Greens were missing several key players but were keen to show their strength in depth.

Liverpool started with intent, attacking down the centre of the pitch but there was no way through. Simon Millington controlled a resolute back line of Matt Marsten, David Platt and Chris Whoopington throughout in what turned out to be an impeccable performance from the Greens.

Captain and Man of the Match Aaron Screech set the tone for the game putting in one of his best performances to date. His constant running and combative display had the home sides midfield tied in knots. John Stanwith continued in his midfield role from last week and had another stormer. Kendal’s first goal of the day came from a strong run from Stanwith, who passed the ball forward to Alex Hyman. Hyman immediately slipped the ball inside his marker for Player / Coach Tom Cash to get his first goal of the season with an emphatic finish through the keepers legs. Noah Ross, Stephen Olliver and Jack Kerr made up the forward line and were unlucky not to make it 2 – 0 when Ross’ reverse stick shot was tipped inches wide by the keeper. With seconds of the half remaining, Cash sent an aerial ball over the defence to Hyman at the back post. Hyman did brilliantly to control the pass above his head but was unable to apply the finish his touch deserved. As the whistle went, despite Kendal dominating the game, they took a slender led into the half time break. 1-0.

As expected, Liverpool came out of the blocks flying but were unable to get close to the Kendal penalty area. Having soaked up the home sides attack, Kendal went on the counter. Good work from Andy Melville led to a pass to Olliver on the edge of the D. Olliver shimmied left and right before smashing a fierce drive towards the back post. Nick Davies deflected the effort towards the goal and was gutted to see his shot strike the post. Fortunately, Kerr was on hand to gather the rebound and flick the ball over the keepers head. 2-0 Kendal. Moments later Kendal’s dominant high press led to another turnover in possession before John Stanwith spotted Ross unmarked in the area. Stanwith delivered a venomous strike into the D and Ross applied a deft touch to wrong foot the keeper once again. Kendal continued to perform all over the pitch and ran out comfortable 3-0 winners.

Whilst the Kendal keeper didn’t face a single shot, his vocal contributions were so loud and vital for organising the Green’s squad throughout. Next up, Formby 2’s at home.

Categories: Match Reports