The ‘Skippy’ and Steve show.

Kendal travelled to Lytham St Annes this weekend with a squad of fifteen in search of much needed points.

The match started with The Greens immediately applying pressure on the home side. Jacob Ross and captain Harry Denney were a two man swarm in middle for Kendal and they refused to give the opposition midfield any time to compose themselves. On the right flank Mason Croskell was looking strong and Lucas Rumney’s movement was affording him time and space behind the Lytham defensive line. Eventually the pressure told. Steve Barclay broke through into the Lytham D and let fly with a rocket of a shot. Although the keeper saved Barclay’s effort, it was all he could do to parry it straight to the stick of Matt “Skippy” Clinton who slotted the ball home. Next it was Denney’s turn to test the home keepers mettle. Denney drew him close and looped a shot over his sprawling glove, only for the ball hit the crossbar. Once again Clinton appeared from nowhere, fought to gain control of the ball and drilled it into the goal. Clinton scored again soon after, but was denied a first half hat-trick when the goal was disallowed. The ball being judged to have crossed the back line in the build up.

Half time Lytham 0 – 2 Kendal.

Lytham changed their formation for the start of the second half and for a while it was their turn to put Kendal to the sword. Fortunately for The Greens their back line of Ollie Hayton, Iain Donaldson and Nick Davis were up to the challenge and the away side weathered the storm. Ten minutes into the half and, largely thanks to Denney’s vocal contributions, Kendal began to assert themselves once again. Noah Ross drove toward the Lytham D and crossed a bobbling ball that flummoxed all who tried to stop it. All, that is, until Steve Barclay sprinted to meet it and fired an unstoppable, one-handed volley into the back of the Lytham net. The game then became a very open affair. The home side pushed ever forward in hope of getting back into the match. This allowed space for Kendal to exploit. Phil Conlin was afforded the room to repeatedly slot through-balls to the ceaselessly willing runners in The Green’s front line. Kendal’s fourth came from one such pass. Conlin found Barclay in space at the back post who faked a shot and then squared the ball to the opposite side of the goal where Clinton dove to greet it and finished off his man of the match performance with a well earned hat-trick. Kendal were then awarded a penalty corner. The ball was injected by Davis to Conlin who calmly waited for the defenders to close him down, knowing that this would leave others unmarked. Conlin then squared it to the ever ready Barclay who’s first time punch-shot slammed into the corner of the goal giving the keeper no chance.

Lytham St Annes Men’s 2s 0 – 5 Kendal Men’s 2s.

Kendal 2s will look to keep their momentum going next weekend as they face Formby 4s at the fortress that is their Queen Katherine School home pitch.

Categories: Match Reports