Kendal travelled to Ulverston to take on local rivals South Lakes with a bare 11 players and with heavy rain falling from the off.

Both teams quickly settled into the game with some flowing moves in both directions. Sadly after just 10 minutes Kendal lost Jacob Ross to injury and with no subs to bring on Kendal were already up against it. The home team broke the deadlock mid-way through the 1st half with a crisp strike from the top of the crowded D which left keeper James Taylor completely unsighted as the ball nestled in the bottom corner.

Kendal continued to threaten with Sam Weeks causing problems for the defenders as he spun and weaved through the South Lakes ranks and Tyson Barclay running the defence ragged. The terrible weather was taking its toll though and Weeks was also forced of the pitch leaving Kendal with 9 men. The score remained 1-0 through to half time and Kendal were still positive despite the numerical disadvantage.

South Lakes started the 2nd half on the front foot and they soon began to control long spells of the game. 3 more quick goals followed as South Lakes used the extra players well, swamping the Kendal defence despite an impressive Kendal back line of Ollie Hayton, Iain Donaldson, Jed Elshaw and man of the match Fraser Donaldson playing left back for the 1st time and some fine saves from Taylor.

Things were about to get considerably more difficult for the Greens as Steve Barclay was issued a green card by the umpire who rapidly upgraded it to a yellow following his reaction. Minutes later Kendal were down to 7 players after Tyson Barclay removed himself from the pitch before a likely sending off as he disagreed with several umpiring decisions.

The remaining 7 players showed admirable commitment to the cause, keeping South Lakes at bay and still causing problems to the home team on the break with Fraser Donaldson and Alex Tarney linking well down the left wing. Lucas Rumney was still full of running on the right flank and keeping their defenders honest. Elshaw was now managing to cover at least 3 positions and break down countless attacks while also instigate several for a now very stretched Kendal.

A disappointing result, but credit for the determination shown by the Kendal players for the full 70 minutes in the circumstances. With 5 minutes to go at 4-0 down, Tarney’s shout of “Come on Kendal, we’re still in this!” epitomised the team spirit.

Categories: Match Reports