Kendal hit the road to Ulverston in high spirits as they aimed to keep up their winning start to the season. Unfortunately for the travelling Greens, South Lakes hit the ground running. Their high press caused the visitors problems and Kendal struggled to stay calm in possession. Architects of their own potential demise, The Greens continually gave the ball away. Try as they might Kendal just could not play the hockey they are used to and despite creating a few good chances they went in at half time a goal down, and deservedly so.

Half time- South lakes 1 – 0 Kendal

After such a disappointing half the visitors could easily have capitulated and suffered the consequences. However, inspirational half time sermons were ministered by the Kendal Captain Aaron Screen and Vice-captain Nick Davis with immediate positive affects. Kendal started the second half looking like a different team. It was the old cliché of a game of two halves.

Within minutes of the restart John Stanworth levelled the score. After being found in the D by a bullet of a pass from Nick Davis, Stanworth took a touch, held off his defender and fired the ball under the advancing keeper. Whilst still reeling from the unexpected change in their opponent’s tempo and attacking fluidity, South Lakes conceded a penalty corner. Aaron Screen dispatched his opportunity with aplomb, drag-flicking into the net. Man of the match Dan Cook finished off a swift attack for Kendal’s third. Beating his man with ease, Cook was emphatic with a divine reverse stick strike after picking up the rebound from Noah Ross’ shot. Just seconds later Ross was again unlucky not to score himself as his thunderbolt of an effort dented the home side’s post. South Lakes still carried a threat however, and it took almost Herculean efforts from defenders Chris Woodmen and Simon Millington to subdue all of their attacks, while Gordon Blunt’s adroit movement on and off the ball allowed him to easily ride with the punches. Kendal’s final goal came after a strong drive down Kendal’s right flank by Mark Addison. Addison then delivered the ball into the South Lakes D and after a short period of pinball Aaron Screen picked up the ball on the penalty spot and calmly flicked the ball past the desperate keeper’s diving glove. The win was especially sweet for Kendal as their third victory in three matches leaves them sitting pretty at the top of the table.

Final score South Lakes Men’s 1s 1 – 4 Kendal Men’s 1s.

Categories: Match Reports